Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sweet Potato Pancakes


Over the summer, my husband and I went to San Diego for a wedding. The first morning we were there, we went with some friends to a breakfast spot called Snooze. I still have sweet dreams about that place! The restaurant is very modern and hip inside, with huge open windows (because the weather in southern California is almost always perfect). The pancakes were out of this world, especially the sweet potato cakes and peanut butter chocolate. We went back the very next day. It was that good.

Enjoying the sun at SeaWorld!

I was inspired by the sweet potato pancakes, and was determined to make my own. Knowing full well that my cakes would never live up to Snooze cakes, I decided at least I could make them healthy.

Sweet Potato Pancakes
Makes 8-10 medium pancakes
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup pureed sweet potato (half a large sweet potato)
  • 3/4 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
Boil sweet potato until tender. Drain and puree until very smooth. 

Heat skillet to medium heat. Mix together flour, baking soda. salt and brown sugar. Add in remaining ingredients and mix well. 

Spray hot skillet with non-stick spray; pour batter to form cakes and cook 3-5 minutes per side. These pancakes turn out so fluffy, and I really love them because they're not very sweet. Top with pure maple syrup, butter, sliced almonds, bananas, cinnamon...let your creativity go wild! 







No comments:

Post a Comment