Friday, November 2, 2012

Steamed Clams

The first time I tried clams was in Seattle, at a restaurant with views of Washington ferry boats gliding across the Puget Sound. I couldn't believe what I had been missing out on! Perhaps my experience with clams was influenced by the nautical atmosphere, but it certainly created some amazing memories that I re-live every time I have clams.

At the Seattle Mariners baseball game

My husband knows what he's doing when it comes to seafood, so I always ask him to take charge of the clams. For this meal, he made a broth with garlic, onion, white wine and a little butter. It turned out amazing!

Steamed Clams

  • 2 dozen littleneck clams
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/4 stick melted butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
Clean clams. Heat oil in large pot, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add wine, and cook for 5 minutes to let flavors combine. Add water and clams. Cook covered for about 10 minutes, until all clams open up. Remove clams and place in serving dish. Add melted butter, salt and pepper to sauce and pour over clams. 



One of the best things about making clams is dipping crusty sourdough bread into the broth, soaking up all the amazing flavors the clams have been steaming in!

No comments:

Post a Comment